Exposing the brickwork in your home can add character to any room. Old houses usually have bricks under a layer of plaster, which still arrives in good condition. You can bare it and restore its appearance. Do this using brick stripping tips.
Performing these works is not difficult. The main task is to maintain proper accuracy and level of installation in order to expose the brick wall in excellent form. The ideal exposed area is 4 cm high, 6.5 cm wide and 12 cm long.
- The block size is best made as close as possible to the real standard parameters of red brick - this is 240 by 115 millimeters. Leave the gap between the "bricks" small, 1-1.2 millimeters - it can be painted in a different tone. Before painting the wall, tint the foam with light acrylic to emphasize the texture. And in the finale, try to age the surface with chalk or spots with white paint diluted with water.
Than to paint a brick outside
When choosing a paint for outdoor work, you need to consider that the composition must have certain properties:
- Vapor permeability. This is true for buildings that are made entirely of brick or lined without clearance. Free steam exchange eliminates internal deformations. If the masonry is a facing coating and has a ventilation gap, then the need for vapor permeability of the paint disappears.
Choosing the composition, one should take into account the presence of aggressive components in the mortar for bricklaying
You should know! Painted brick should retain decorative properties for a long time, so it is necessary that the resulting coating be resistant to ultraviolet radiation.
The main task of the compositions for external painting, in addition to visual appeal, is surface protection. For such purposes, the following types of facade paints are suitable:
- Acrylic This is the most popular option with a lot of positive properties. The vapor permeability of such a variety is low, but is at an acceptable level. The mixture prevents the appearance of efflorescence, which is especially often formed on the decorative types of facing bricks.
For masonry, it is better to choose universal acrylic silicone compounds. This is a unique composition. The fact is that the masonry is not recommended to be painted within a year after erection, but silicone paint allows you to perform work after 4-5 days. This is due to the elasticity of the products and the prevention of efflorescence. The demand for such material is limited due to the high cost.
Domestic silicone paints are of good quality
As traditional varieties, oil and alkyd enamels are used. But due to the high consumption and fragility, they are used for work with technical fences that have already been painted.
On a note! For a facing brick, an acrylic-silicone variety of paints is best suited. It minimizes moisture absorption, creates excellent conditions for steam exchange and completely prevents the threat of salt spots.
Composition for painting interior walls of brick
In the interior of houses, masonry is quite common. It is an excellent complement to many styles: Provence, loft and country, which combines the attraction to the aged look of surfaces. This effect is achieved through the use of certain technologies.
Various types of compositions are suitable for painting a brick wall indoors. The main factors when choosing a solution in this case are environmental friendliness and decorativeness.
To paint the walls in residential premises, water-dispersion (water-based) paints based on acrylic or minerals are used. The first option is more popular due to durability. For work in rooms with high humidity, an acrylic mixture with the addition of latex is used. Water-based compounds do not pose a threat to human health and are well tinted, which allows you to get the right color.
Water-dispersed acrylics are best suited for indoor use.
Where is it better to use brickwork?
Brickwork, which stands out well for its rough surface and pronounced texture, is ideal for an interior in the loft style. In the kitchens of the classic style, the red color of the brickwork will add zest. In Scandinavian interiors, most often you can find brick walls painted in white, although this can sometimes be found in lofts.
In the kitchen, for the visual isolation of the working and dining areas, unpainted brickwork is ideal. In the living room and bedroom, the brick wall can play the role of an element of decor. Exposing individual bricks in the wall, you can make wonderful mosaics. But if you do not have masonry and you have nothing to expose except for concrete, then stone veneer, which perfectly performs the function of masonry, will be an excellent alternative.
Brick facade painting
Facade painting involves the separation of the process into two main stages: surface preparation and application of the composition. The durability of the protective coating depends on the quality of each stage.
Important! It is recommended to wait at least a year to exclude the appearance of cracks due to shrinkage of the structure.
What care is needed?
The brick wall does not need special care. Occasionally, it needs to be inspected for cracks and treated with a special sealant. It is also recommended in the warm season to periodically wash the wall with warm water and a soft brush, and then dry well.
To give the wall a rich shade and highlight bricks, it can be covered with clinker oil or acrylic parquet scuba diving. Such a coating will give not only aesthetic properties, but also protect the wall from contamination.
- The wall is thoroughly cleaned of dirt and dust. If it is supposed to process previously painted surfaces, then the old decorative layer is removed.
- Particular attention is paid to areas affected by moss. They are most often located under the roof visor and near the ground. Neoplasms are removed, and their locations are cleaned and treated with a chlorine or alkaline solution.
Masonry is easier to clean with a metal cord brush
After all the manipulations, the facade is left to dry completely for 3-4 days.
External brick walls are painted by two methods: solid and single. The first involves the application of paint in one layer, which significantly saves time. The second option is more complicated, because the details and seams are covered with a mixture individually. The methods can be combined: for this, a uniform layer is initially laid, after which the joints stand out beautifully.
Emphasis on seams is considered the most common type of decor.
On a note! Facade coatings, made in accordance with all the rules, have a service life of 5 to 8 years, after which they lose their attractiveness and protective properties.
How to paint the inner masonry
Painting brick surfaces inside a house or apartment is mostly a decorative procedure. Special protective properties are necessary only for coatings that are located in the hallway, kitchen, bathroom and on the balcony.
The choice of visual effect depends on the style of the room. Due to the fact that brick material is more inclined to industrial and urban areas with a spacious layout, the best solution would be to artificially age the surface. Also, coloring the brick with different colors will look very unusual.
Creative approach makes the wall much more attractive
HOW TO PAINT A BRICK WALL (12 photos)
If your house has textured brick walls that you would like to decorate effectively, but don’t find how and with what - you should turn to a well-known and simple way - painting masonry.
A beautiful characteristic relief of the surface will be preserved, but the space of the room will definitely be transformed.
Important! Before you start painting a brick wall or its fragment, it should be accepted that getting rid of a layer of paint in the future, and returning the wall to its original appearance will be very difficult. Therefore, the decision to repaint the surface must be solid and unconditional.
To paint a brick wall inside a building, it is necessary to choose exclusively paints for interior work, since their composition is harmless to humans and has certain properties.
As an example, you can give preference to acrylic vinyl paints that make the walls “breathable”, mineral paints (for example, cement), they are intended for coloring such materials, or alkyd paints (silicone), which protect well from mold, and form a durable coating.
The use of oil paints for brick surfaces is also provided, - the walls will flicker and, moreover, the paint layer will become water-repellent.
Brick: versatile and stylish
Do not rush to “sew up” a brick wall with drywall or completely level it, and then wallpaper its surface, even if you intend to decorate the interior in a classic style. Today, some synthesis of stylistic trends in design is a trend promoted by the most famous and respected designers - decorators. Therefore, the texture of the brick wall can and should only be emphasized.
If you, nevertheless, strive for the integrity of the image of a certain style, you can paint the brickwork in a neutral color, close to the basic shades that fill the decor of the room.
Otherwise, the brick walls look very harmonious in the interiors in the style of the Mediterranean, loft, contemporary, country, modern, Scandinavian, neoclassical, English or Gothic.
We take into account the nature of the material
Brick, as a natural material, has a special porous structure, which, in general, is difficult to stain. The paint is simply absorbed into the brick surface, and in order to get uniform smooth bricks, you will have to apply several layers, waiting time until each new layer completely dries.
In addition, no matter how strong the layer of paint on the brick surface, - most likely, after a few years, it will begin to crumble, showing specific salt deposits.
If you are completely satisfied with the look of the brick walls in your apartment, and are not going to change anything, it is important to know that it is nevertheless necessary to take care of such a surface.
In addition to periodic washing and cleaning of masonry from dust, dirt or grease (especially in kitchens), it is recommended to use special protective compounds, oils or varnishes, water-based. After complete drying, they form a protective layer on the surface of the masonry, prevent the accumulation of contaminants, and simplify the process of cleaning (washing) the walls of bricks.
In addition, by covering the masonry with varnish, you contribute to the fact that its color and quality, in general, will improve and last longer.
We put experiments
To paint a brick wall, there are many techniques that allow you to achieve a different effect on the surface: aged, brick, dull color or glossy shine, uniform or blurred.
Brick walls decorated with bright graffiti or with contrasting colored seams look interesting in the interior. Soft and unobtrusive, but still very stylish masonry looks gray, white or black.
How and what is the best way to apply paint on a brick surface
Evenly paint the surface can only be done with a brush, with a width of 6 to 10 cm. The quality of the pile and brush, in general, should be high in any case, but its nature depends on the paint you choose. If it is based on solvents (alkyd, silicone paints), the brush should be with artificial bristles. Natural pile should be used when painting the masonry with oil paint.
You should not rely on a roller for painting even walls when you have to work with a relief brick surface - it will only create the effect of “dusted” masonry. But with the help of a roller or sponge, you can apply a stencil pattern to the brickwork, or simply highlight specific bricks with a contrasting color.
Brickwork in the interior
Brickwork has a special charm. She makes a reference to the story, sets the character of the room and makes the interior solid. Today it can be increasingly seen in Scandinavian, rural and loft spaces. How to expose a brick wall, how to paint it and how to care for it?
1. In which interior is brickwork appropriate?
Brickwork in the bedroom interior
Unpainted rough surface, with a pronounced texture, the perfect ally of the interior in the loft style. A neat and even red brick wall will be relevant in traditional-style kitchens. But bricks painted in white are the privilege of Scandinavian interiors, although today this option can often be found in lofts.
In the kitchen, a brick wall can visually separate the working and dining areas. In the bedroom, the masonry fits the role of an accent wall, as in the living room. It is also interesting to expose only brick fragments, for example, in niches.
Brickwork in the interior of the living room
3. Brick Care
Brick wall in the bathroom interior
The brick wall is unpretentious in leaving. Periodically, it must be inspected for cracks that may occur on the masonry joint mortar. If they are found, then treat them easily with a special sealant.
It is recommended that the masonry be washed periodically with warm water and a clean cloth or soft brush. After that, it should be dried well. In the cold season, it is better to refrain from washing.
If there is a desire to emphasize the beauty of a saturated shade, then the brick can be covered with clinker oil or acrylic parquet scuba. This will not only preserve the aesthetic properties of the surface, but also strengthen it and prevent it from further pollution.
Red brick in the interior
Exposed brick wall in the living room
4. How to paint a brick wall?
When starting to paint a brick wall, it is worth remembering that it is almost impossible to remove the paint from the surface later. After about five years, it will be necessary to renew the color or repaint the wall, since during this time it may lose its attractive appearance.
You need to buy paint for interior work. It can be acrylic paint, which is odorless and can be easily washed off, or oil - it creates a good aesthetic effect on the wall. In construction stores, you can also find special solutions for painting brick walls, which are absorbed into the surface. In kitchens and bathrooms it is recommended to use moisture-resistant paints.
White brick wall in the interior
Brick wall in the interior of the kitchen
5. A few general recommendations
When working with masonry, you need to remember several important points:
• A fresh brick wall will not be ready for painting until one year after installation.
• Brick should be painted horizontally, preferably with a brush, to paint over all irregularities well.
• When exposing masonry, you must wear special glasses and a dust mask, cover the floor and windows with a special film, and remove all furniture from the room.
• The service life of the painted wall is five years, then you need to repaint it again.
Stylish brick wall
Кирпичная стена на кухне
Кирпичная стена в скандинавском интерьере
Акцентную кирпичную кладку можно окружить окрашенными стенами или выбрать для них обои с интересным рисунком. Мы выяснили advantages and disadvantages of the most popular types .
Find out the important: A home robot has appeared in Russia, which not only removes dirt on its own, but also protects the apartment from robbers
He easily cleans even wool from carpets. You can contact him by video link from anywhere in the world. In addition, this unique robot guards the house, stealthily moving around the rooms and transmitting to the owner a high-quality image even at night.
Do you like the article? Then support us press :
Brick paint: how to choose and use
Decorative brick for painting
There were times when, when finishing buildings, brickwork was certainly sought to be plastered, but its original relief was so loved by people that materials imitating this, in general, simple geometric pattern, began to be used almost everywhere. These are tiles in the form of bricks, and wallpaper for painting "brickwork", and various types of facade and interior panels.
Using the video in this article, we will explain to our readers how to fit the masonry or its imitation into the design of the room, how to paint the brick, and what composition to treat its surface - as well as present a lot of other interesting information on this topic.
Brickwork: fashion trends in interior design
Some historical, and even more modern interior architectural styles, are generally impossible to imagine without natural brickwork. In those days, when these styles were born, the masonry was left without decoration for the simple reason that plaster was too expensive a pleasure.
Yes, and materials were not yet invented that could protect the brick from aging, the effects of the external environment.
- Over the years, the surface of the brick took a picturesque appearance, blackened somewhere, efflorescences appeared, moss made its way through the seams. This gave an idea to modern designers, and today an imitation of aged brickwork, one might say, at the peak of its popularity. To do this, one does not need to refine oneself, artistically paint the brick, trying to add age to the new masonry.
Ageless loft style in living room design
- Walls can be simply lined with brick or clinker tiles (see Clinker tiles: universal material for interiors and facades) with the appropriate design, and one of these options is shown in the photo above. This finish is carried out with decorative clinker tiles of manual molding, and the result is such that it is almost impossible to distinguish imitation from natural masonry.
- Actually, there is not only tile, but also decorative brick with the same appearance at the consumer’s services. Use it for facing the facade or interior walls, it is possible only in the process of building a house, therefore, there should be a project providing for such decoration.
- If the house is old, and the idea of decorating the interior in the loft style, or updating the facade came in the process of its operation, it is much easier to use the tiles, because the brick is heavy, and should be based on the foundation. Of course, the price of such tiles is quite high, and facing one square of the wall will cost about 2700 rubles.
Budget option for decorating a brick wall: wallpaper for painting
- Those who don’t have material capabilities for such a facing have no choice but to paint the brickwork, for example, in white, which also looks very stylish - or use wallpaper for painting with the corresponding pattern or relief. A roll of such wallpaper can cost as much as a square meter of tiled cladding, but in a roll of at least 5 m2, so the finish is five times cheaper.
Note! There is another, just a wonderful option that can be used to design rooms - a decorative brick made of plaster. Firstly, it allows you to get a beautiful relief, and secondly, the brick can be painted in the color scheme that you like best. And thirdly, such a brick can be made at home and at no particular cost.
Room design with decorative plaster brick
And yet, loft, modern or country styles, include participation in the design of natural brickwork, and it is to this that our instruction is devoted. In the next chapter, we will tell you how to paint a brick, and perform other work related to preparing masonry for decoration.
Paint the plastered walls
Before proceeding with the painting, or other decoration of the masonry, it must be prepared for decoration. And it doesn’t matter what it will be: painting a brick balcony, or designing a wall adjacent to the fireplace - if it is not planned to plaster the masonry, then preparing its surface will be done in the same way.
- Although, a lot depends on the initial state of the walls - there is a difference: a freshly constructed one is masonry, or your house is already a hundred years old. The beauty of the brickwork is done by the jointing, and there are many ways to do it. When brick walls are supposed to be plastered (see How to plaster exterior walls), the joints do not fill with mortar at all, but lead the masonry “into the barren”.
How to paint silicate brick - and in general, is it worth it to paint
This improves the adhesion of the plaster mortar to the base, and eliminates the need to make incisions on it. And if, for example, during the overhaul of the old house, when the stucco layer was removed from the walls, empty joints were found in the masonry, as part of the decorative surface finish, they will have to be filled with mortar with their own hands.
Masonry joint processing
This work, of course, is painstaking. But when you consider that unplastered brickwork is usually left as an accent on only one wall, or only certain fragments are decorated in the interior: a rough stove, a wall between the windows, or a niche, then this is not so difficult.
- First of all, surface cleaning is performed. Even when the masonry is carried out into a wasteland, when plastering, the solution enters the seams. When cleaning the walls to the base, some of it remains in the seams, and to fill them with a fresh solution, the old one needs to be removed and brush out the sand and dust.
- Cleaning is carried out using a narrow chisel and a hammer, only this must be done carefully, being careful not to damage the brick. You will also need another tool - flat stitching, with which you will process the seams, giving them shape.
Masonry jointing tool
- To fill the joints, you need a solution of grade MP * 75, but before applying it, the cleaned masonry should be washed - especially if it was previously plastered. After washing, it should dry for several days. Then the wall is primed, not forgetting about the seams. One layer of soil is not enough, the masonry needs to be processed at least two times.
- Only after the surface has completely dried, can embarking on embroidery work. First, make horizontal seams, and then vertical. Three quarters of the void between the bricks is filled with a solution, and allowed to stand for 30-40 minutes, until the mixture sets a little. Keep in mind that it should not lose elasticity, so do not fill the seams immediately over the entire surface area to be trimmed.
- Apply the solution in two or three rows, and when the time comes to start processing them, you can fill in a few more. Then, using the embroidery, you begin to form the seams that are filled first. Squeeze the tool slightly into the solution, and remove any excess surplus with a regular wide-blade clerical knife.
Natural brickwork: loft style design
- Using the same simple tool, putty the joints in those places where the notches were left unfilled with the solution. After you have obtained beautiful smooth grooves, you can begin to grind vertical joints. Here it is necessary to pay special attention to ensuring that they are well bandaged with horizontal stitches.
Advice! Do not forget to regularly moisten the embroidery with water - this will help to better smooth the surface. In addition, the solution sticks to the dry surface of the metal, and by moving the tool along the uncured joint, it can simply be ruined. Do not worry if the mortar accidentally hits the surface of the brick. Since you have already primed it, any dirt will be easily washed away.
Silicate brick masonry decoration
- In this case, there is no difference: the silicate brick will be painted, or this is bricklaying from traditional clay brick - all work is done in the same way. When processing seams, you repeat the outline of each brick. Particularly carefully you need to fill the seams in the chimneys of fireplaces and stoves, since carbon monoxide can enter the room through them.
- And it doesn’t matter if some of them are uneven - it would even be strange to see perfectly even bricks in a century-old wall. In principle, all the charm of the old masonry consists in this unevenness, not without reason because it is even imitated with the help of decorative bricks or ceramic tiles.
Your task is not so much to align the masonry, as it is simply impossible, but to make it relief, beautifully edging its elements with seams. Old bricks framed by new smooth seams look very impressive. If necessary, you can putty those places where there are potholes or broken corners.
What paint a brick
If you have a desire to leave the masonry in its original form, then the putty places are simply tinted using an ordinary dishwashing sponge. Although, some even prefer to leave potholes without seals - after all, this is all a matter of taste. But you still need to polish the masonry.
- Firstly, it’s easier to remove the dirt ingrained in the brick, and secondly, its surface will be smoother and more pleasant to the touch. After the grouting is finished, the surface to be treated must be vacuumed.
Antique brickwork in a modern interior
- If you are not going to paint the brick in a different color, but plan to leave the masonry as is, it needs to be primed one more time. Laminated soil "glazes" the surface, completely blocking the entrance of moisture. Thus, the masonry will not become dirty, absorb unnecessary odors, and will also be reliably protected from destruction.
Advice! It is better to apply the soil using a spray, since when working with a roller, only the surface of the brick is primed, and the composition almost does not get into the seams. If you still use the roller, then try to moisten it abundantly, or additionally walk along the seams with a brush. Make sure that there are no leaks, and rub them until all the soil is absorbed into the surface.
- As a finishing touch, seams, or the entire surface of the masonry, can be treated with decorative azure, for example: Feidal Ambiente. Usually, wood is treated with azure, and this composition can be applied to almost any substrate. It is simply rubbed into the surface, giving it a golden sheen.
High-quality masonry - it's almost a timeless finish
- Azure in its text
4. What paint is suitable for a brick wall?
Before you start painting a brick wall, you need to pay attention to the fact that then you can’t remove the paint from its surface. Over time, any paint loses its juiciness and the wall may lose its former appearance, so after a certain period of time you will need to refresh the paint on the wall or repaint it in a different color.
For brick walls, paints suitable for interior work are well suited. It can be acrylic-based paints that are odorless, breathable and easy to rinse off, or oil-based, which give the wall a pleasant aesthetic appearance.
Currently, a wide range of special solutions for painting brick walls are sold in construction stores. These solutions are absorbed into the surface of the brick and protect it from various influences. Since there is high humidity in the kitchen and bathroom, it is recommended to cover the walls in these places with moisture-resistant paint.