When using bar soap in the house there are always pieces that are already uncomfortable to wash. We offer them a second life and make soap from remnants. There are different ways of processing residues. You can simply mold them together or weld a brand new original decorative soap. Dyes that scrub particles, flavors and oils are added to the melted soap base. To implement the plan, you will need 15–45 minutes of free time.
What soap can be made from remnants?
Old remnants - a universal basis. From them you can make soap for every taste. However, it is not necessary to know the principles of soap making.
- A bar of pieces. This is the easiest way to make soap out of remnants. Pour hot water into the soap dish, place the debris in the house there. After 10 minutes, squeeze the mass firmly with your hands. Remove from the soap dish and dry. Get one bar.
- Liquid. If you chop the pieces of old remnants and leave in hot water for a long enough time, you get a liquid soap. Proportions: 150 g pieces per 250 ml of water. However, one must keep in mind that this option is not stored for long, and it turns out not to be completely homogeneous. It is best suited for use as a detergent for the toilet, plumbing, for washing things.
- With scrubbing particles. If you rub the pieces of soap, heat in a water bath, add ground coffee and firmly squeeze the mass with your hands, you get a whole piece of excellent body scrub.
- Decorative. From remnants you can make a real work of art - handmade soap. To do this, you need to prepare a soap base, and then color and flavor it to your taste.
- Soap-washcloth. The idea is to put the remnants in a pocket that allows water and foam to pass through. It can be sewn from a net or crocheted from polymer threads (they are often used to garter plants). Soap-washcloth is very convenient to use: wash hands, dishes, wash things, etc.
It is better to combine remnants with an identical odor. Mixing aromas often fails, and homemade soaps have unpleasant notes.
Soap Making Instructions
To make a full soap from the debris, and not just a soap lump, you have to resort to cooking.
Melt the soap is not as difficult as it seems at first glance. The course of action is approximately the following:
- Rub the soap on a coarse grater or chop with a knife.
- Fill with water. For 300 grams of soap, you need 500 ml of water.
- Melt the mixture in a water bath or microwave.
- Pour the soap base into a greased dish.
- Wait for solidification (1-2 days).
Old shabby remnants rub poorly and dissolve in water. Therefore, for starters, it is recommended to soften them by holding them in hot water.
How to cook?
The cooking process has its own characteristics. To obtain a uniform soap base, it will take time:
- in a water bath - from 30 minutes to 2 hours,
- in the microwave - 5-6 visits for 15 seconds.
The mass must constantly stir and remove the foam. Boiling is best avoided. To cook solid soap, you should wait until the base thickens to the consistency of sour cream. It is important to consider that soap making will be accompanied by a strong smell, therefore it is better to cover the container and open the windows for ventilation.
Liquid soap without heat treatment
There is a great way to cook a good portion of liquid from small pieces of old soap. If you wish, you can add fragrances and aromatic oils to the soap concentrate and then you get a full-fledged shower gel. So, for cooking you will need the following tools:
- Grater, preferably fine. The smaller the soap shavings, the better it will dissolve.
- Bottle with dispenser for the finished product. You can use an empty bottle of shower gel or shampoo.
- Wooden spatula for mixing.
- A bottle of glycerin, it can be bought at any pharmacy, it is inexpensive.
- Lemon juice or citric acid.
- Hot water.
- Liquid additives, for example, essential oil, honey, ground coffee can be used if this aroma is pleasant. Some needlewomen even add cocoa powder and they get a gel with a chocolate flavor.
If soap making is often done, it is better to purchase a separate grater. Since small pieces of soap may remain in the food grater and get into food. Citric acid or juice is used as a preservative. Substances that protect the soap from spoilage are destroyed by heat, so new soap needs a new preservative. It is better to use natural lemon juice, in which case vitamins will bring additional benefits to the skin.
How to color?
To give a soap from remnants an aesthetic appearance, you can add dye to the hot soapy mass.
At home, for staining, you can use:
- sea buckthorn oil (bright orange color),
- beetroot juice (red color and its shades),
- coffee grounds (brown color),
- chamomile essential oil (blue color),
- food colors (1–7 drops per 100 grams of soap base).
To decorate the soap, you can add glitter - glitter. However, it must be borne in mind that in a hot basis they settle to the bottom.
- We rub our remnants on a fine grater.
- Pour a small cap of glycerin into our bottle with a dispenser. Glycerin is added to the soap as a cream, it serves to soften the skin. The usual proportions are one tablespoon per liter of finished soap. But if you add a little more or less, nothing bad will happen.
- Chips should fill the bottle with a dispenser by about two-thirds, pour it directly on top of the glycerin.
- Boil the water. If you wish, you can pour soap shavings not with plain water, but with a decoction of aromatic herbs or hot green tea. It contains antioxidants that rejuvenate the skin. In addition, green tea has a pleasant aroma.
- Pour boiling water into the vial, but not to the very top, you need to leave room for the addition of essential oil.
- We close the bottle and begin to shake vigorously, trying to dissolve the small pieces of soap.
- We leave our bottle for several hours until the soap chips dissolve.
- When the dissolution process is completed, add aromatic essential oil, honey or milk to the solution. The proportions are as follows: for 100 grams of soap, you can add a third of a teaspoon of essential oil, up to seven drops of lemon juice and not more than thirty grams of liquid honey. You need to be careful with milk: you can add only half of the mass of chips. If you had two tablespoons of raw materials, then you can add no more than one milk.
- Shake the soap again and you can start using it.
The principle of "do no harm." You can’t add all the additives that are in the house to one soap bottle. Either milk with honey or essential oil. You can mix several flavors, but then nothing else needs to be added. If you overdo it with additives, the soap will not foam. And excessive essential supplements can trigger an allergic reaction.
If you put baking soda in a prepared liquid soap, about a teaspoon per half liter, you get a dishwashing detergent. In addition to soda, you can add a tablespoon of mustard, then such a soap is well suited for washing greasy dishes.
To make the new toilet soap full of rich aroma, essential oil can be added to the base. Most often for these purposes use:
There is another recipe for aromatizing soaps. You need to melt the remnants not in water, but in milk or a strong fragrant broth (for example, peppermint, orange zest, cinnamon).
Do-it-yourself solid soap from remnants
To melt soap, a water bath is often used. With this method, the soap will not burn, boil, and sterilize. The dissolution process occurs gradually, which is very convenient, especially for beginner soap-makers. In a water bath it is easy to achieve the desired consistency. It is best to use separate dishes for soap, especially if you plan to repeat this experience. If there is no separate container, an ordinary glass refractory microwave form will do.
Pouring into mold
To get a bar of soap, you will need to get molds. For this purpose, you can use:
- baby molds
- soap box
- the cut bottom of the bottle,
- tin can
- ice cube mold,
- candy packaging,
- a glass of yogurt.
In order for the soap to separate from the walls without difficulty, the inside of the mold should be generously greased with vegetable oil. The soap base is poured slightly cooled after about 2 hours after removing from heat.
- dishes for a water bath,
- fine grater for soap,
- wooden stirring blades,
- figured form for soap (if there is no special silicone form, it does not matter, take children's molds for the sandbox).
How to dissolve remnants to make liquid soap?
Liquid soap is used much more economically than solid and, moreover, never slip out of your hands. Making remnants of liquid soap is a great idea. But for the consistency to be homogeneous, dissolving soap chips in water is not enough. It will be necessary to weld the mass.
- Grind the remnants.
- Fill with water in a ratio of 1: 2.
- Add 2 tablespoons of tincture of calendula or chamomile. This will protect the liquid soap from thickening.
- Add 3-4 tablespoons of glycerin to make the soap malleable and ductile.
- Melt the mass in a water bath. Stir occasionally and remove the foam with a spoon.
- Once the fluid is homogeneous, turn off the heat.
- After cooling, pour liquid soap into a container with a dispenser.
In addition to ensuring hygiene, remnants of soap may have a cosmetic effect. For this, additional ingredients are added to the classic recipe: vegetable and essential oils, plant extracts.
We suggest making 3 different soap options with your own hands:
- Honey and milk to maintain youthful skin. Boil a soap base of 100 g remnants and 180 ml of water. Separately, in 30 ml of water, dilute 1 tablespoon of honey, 10 g of milk powder, 10 ml of castor oil, 3 drops of ylang-ylang ether. Stir in aromatic water and add to the soap base. Store in the refrigerator for no longer than 14 days.
- Orange soap for children. Boil the peel of one orange in 500 ml of water for 10 minutes. In a strained broth, add 250 g of grated remnants of baby soap, put in a water bath for 15 minutes. Add 1 teaspoon of honey, 1 tablespoon of glycerin, 5 drops of essential orange oil. After another 10 minutes, remove the soap from the water bath, cool and pour over the molds.
- From laundry soap. Grate 200 g of remnants on a grater, pour 100 ml of boiling water and leave for 2 hours. Add to the mass 1 teaspoon of vinegar, 1 tablespoon of honey, glycerin, olive and castor oil, 2 teaspoons of baby cream and chlorophyllipt, 3 drops of lavender ether. Beat 2-3 minutes with a mixer.
Extend the life of remnants in various ways. To get a full-fledged new soap, you need to grind and cook the pieces in a small amount of water. And if laziness is involved in soap making, you can wet the old remnant and forcefully press it to the whole bar. It will turn out, though not very aesthetically, but the soap is used without a trace. Good luck
For this recipe remnants of various colors are suitable. The brighter the raw material, the more colorful the pie will be. Part of the remnants is cut into pieces, part is melted in any convenient way. If the pieces are too faded, you can apply food coloring: dilute it in water and fill in the cubes for a while. The paint will be absorbed and the pieces of soap will acquire juicy shades.
Pieces should be sprinkled with alcohol and poured with warm molten soap. On top of the resulting pie also apply a little alcohol. This procedure will protect our cake from air bubbles that appear during pouring.
Soap scrub from remnants
The following ingredients are suitable for scrub:
- coffee cake
- sea salt
- ground grits.
The last option is very hard, great for rubbing your heels, instead of pumice. We prepare melted soap in the same way as in the first recipes. Cool the mixture a little, add our scrubbing component and a little glycerin to it. The resulting mixture should be mixed well and add a few drops of lemon juice. The scrub is added to the soap solution in a 1: 3 ratio, that is, about one hundred grams of soap needs about thirty grams of oatmeal or ground coffee.
The resulting mixture should be cooled a little more, to room temperature. Until it is completely frozen, form soap bars. Dry and wrap with cling film.
Starting to cook soap at home, you must first prepare everything you need.
Prepare all the necessary tools in advance, place them in one place. Cooking usually takes place in the kitchen. Store food and utensils in closed cabinets or the refrigerator. Use only one that will not be used for cooking in the future.
If there are small children in the house, to avoid unpleasant situations, organize the process so that they do not interfere with you in the kitchen. The same applies to animals, because wool can get into the components of the soap.
We make soap in the microwave
- We prepare the molds in advance, grease them with oil, so that it is easier to remove the soap.
- Remnants cut into small pieces. Can be grated. We transfer to a container suitable for use in a microwave oven. Set to melt for 15-20 seconds. Repeat several times until the remnants are completely dissolved. Make sure that the composition does not boil.
- After dissolution, pour into a container. If desired, you can add aromatic fragrances, essential oils, coloring pigment.
- We spray the form with the solution with alcohol and gently tap on the edges. To get extra air bubbles.
- Put the molds in a cool place or refrigerator for 2 days. After that, carefully remove the soap.
Soap melting over gas
This method will require skill.
- The remnants are rubbed on the smallest grater. The base is transferred to a stew-pan and kept over the fire at a distance of 3-5 centimeters, constantly stirring and avoiding burning.
- Immediately after dissolution, various components can be added to the base. For example, glycerin to soften the skin or herbal infusion.
- Pour the mixture into molds and leave to harden.
Soap in a water bath
Multi-colored remnants are best melted separately. If you mix them, the output may turn out to be unexpected.
- In a water bath, remnants are melted gradually. If you cut it with a knife, the manufacturing process will stretch. It is better to use a grater to grind remnants.
- Take two heat-resistant vessels of different sizes so that one fits easily into the other. Pour a little water into the lower container and put on fire.
- After boiling water in a pan, put the second container with soap chips and begin to melt. Do not forget to constantly mix and make sure that the composition does not boil.
- Then pour into molds and send to dry.
One piece of remnants
The remaining soap is grated. We transfer to the container, add a little hot water. The fluid should be flush with the chips. A smaller amount will not dissolve all the chips. Excess - will not allow the soap to harden.
The composition needs to be mixed from time to time. After complete dissolution, you can add a few drops of food coloring or essential oil.
Pour into a mold and refrigerate for 2 days.
To prepare a soap with a scrubbing effect, oat flakes, ground lemon or orange peel, ground coffee or cinnamon are added to the base from the remnants.
A little water is poured into the soap shavings and waiting for complete dissolution. The base should consist of plasticine in consistency.
In the resulting mass add scrubbing components, molded and put to dry in a dark place.
Part of the remnants need to be cut into small pieces, remaining into larger ones. Then we mix them and sprinkle with alcohol so that they stick together.
We shift to the form. Fill with the melted transparent soap base. Leave to dry. Then remove from the form.
If the mold is not silicone and the finished soap is poorly removed from it, dip the container in hot water for a few seconds.
Removable bath foam
Rub the remnants on a grater, pour hot water. For 100 grams of chips 1 liter of liquid. Mix from time to time. It is necessary to achieve complete dissolution.
To get air bubbles, you need to add glycerin. About 60 grams. You can add a teaspoon of liquid honey or drip some of your favorite perfumes.
Stir, pour into a container with a screw cap.
Do not make a lot of foaming hygiene products at once. The finished composition is not stored for a long time. Shake well before use.
Soap bubbles from remnants
For the preparation of home soap bubbles, it is better to use remnants of laundry soap. If there are none, you can take soap with olive or almond oil.
Pour 100 grams of grated soap with 5 cups of boiling water, mix until completely dissolved. Can be heated in a water bath. Если смесь закипит, она становится непригодной для приготовления мыльных пузырей.
В раствор добавить чайную ложку глицерина, перемешать и остудить. Затем можно использовать.
Средство для мытья посуды
150–200 грамм обмылков натираем на терке. Добавляем стакан горячей воды. Mix. Можно взбить миксером или венчиком. Добавить 5 столовых ложек пищевой соды.Essential oil optional. Pour into a special container.
Finish three residues of laundry soap, dissolve in hot water, cool. We use as intended. When machine washable, the product is placed in the compartment for washing powder.
If you add soda to the chips from laundry soap, you can achieve an additional whitening effect. The ratio is as follows: 1 cup of fine soap chips and 1.5 cups of soda. Mix and pour into a container with a sealed lid. When washing, enough 3 tablespoons of the product.
The subtleties of the process
- The dishes and forms are recommended to use the same each time. The smell of soap is absorbed into the micropores of materials and can cause discomfort.
- To spray the soap base and remove excess air from it, use alcohol, not vodka.
- You can add almost anything to the base for home soap. Abrasive substances will not work: ground coffee, poppy seeds and so on. Since they can injure the skin.
- Fresh fruits and juices are also not worth adding. They deteriorate quickly and significantly reduce the shelf life of soaps. If nevertheless prepared, use as soon as possible.
Essential oils give not only aroma, but also have a healing effect. Just a few drops.
- Aloe gel helps moisturize and smooth the skin. Add to the base. The volume can reach up to 50%.
- Lemon juice tightens and tones the skin. Add to the form after filling. A sufficient amount of 2-5 drops. Depending on the size of the future soap bar.
- Honey increases the volume of the foam, nourishes and moisturizes the skin. You can add from 2 to 4 teaspoons per 1 kilogram of soap base.
- Grape Seed Extract. Accelerates soap thickening, a good antioxidant.
Possible errors in soap making
The remnants package is ready, the recipe is found. The process was conducted without deviating from these points, but the result is not happy. What is the reason? As a rule, “oversalt” with the components. The main disadvantages are as follows:
- Remember the sense of proportion. Do not overdo the stuffing soap with different ingredients. It’s worth pouring essential oils, adding an extra 4-5 drops of dye, and all the rest, you can in the bin. Not only soap, but also skin will be painted.
- So that the soap smelled good, do not bring the base to a boil. Spoils the smell and too much flavoring. For example, vanilla powder and cinnamon in the end do not give the expected effect.
- A solution of brilliant green gives a shade of bright emerald color. Over time, it fades.
- Red wine, added to the soap base, can give the product a gray color.
- A series of melts, overheating or boiling of the base, changes the pH of the soap and, as a result, a bad smell. It is necessary to monitor the temperature of the substrate during melting.
- It is not recommended to use chemical dyes in the manufacture of soap, it is better to use food.
- After adding salt, you can not add water, otherwise the soap will curl.
When using essential oils, you need to remember that its excess can be harmful to health. The dosage for each species is different, but no more than 7-10 drops per 100 grams of base. Possible allergic reactions must be taken into account.
Avoid getting essential oils on your skin; a chemical burn is possible. In case of contact, immediately wipe the place with sunflower or olive oil. And rinse with plenty of running water.
Use only food coloring. Observe the dosage. Excess pigments can stain the skin.
For soap making use separate dishes.
Benefits of Homemade Soap
- The main advantage of handmade soap is saving the family budget.
- The final composition of the hygiene product depends on your desires and preferences.
- The presence of useful components. By adding essential oils or herbal infusions, you can make the soap a vitamin and saturated substances that are beneficial to the skin.
- Making soap can be a hobby.
Creating soap from remnants is an endless scope for creativity. The main thing is to approach the matter with the soul, make a little effort, season with imagination and then the result will sparkle with colors and sparkle with fragrant foam.